Click anywhere to see the next message
- EVENING. RING ROAD, LAGOS
ChetachiBenji... What are you not telling me?
- The couple are alone in their 2015 Toyota Camry.
- They are returning from a small get-together at a lounge.
BenjiWhat do you mean?
- The car reaches a bad portion of the road and rocks gently.
ChetachiBack at the party. I saw everything.
- Chetachi swallows hard and fixes him a harsh glare. The silence is curdled.
- Benji honks to alert the driver ahead of his impending maneuver.
- He overtakes successfully and meets his wife's gaze briefly.
BenjiBabe? What did you see?
ChetachiWhy did you let Percy touch you like that?
BenjiPercy? 😳 Touch me like how?
- Benji eases the pressure on the gas. The car loses speed.
BenjiWhaaaaat? What do you mean by that?
ChetachiI saw his hand.
- Benji adjusts in his seat.
- He clears his throat and watches her from a corner of his eyes.
- His voice fails him when he speaks.
BenjiS… saw his hand d… doing what?
ChetachiYou still have to ask that?
- Her voice is irritated, her nostrils flared.
ChetachiOK. I saw him squeeze your butt when he thought no one was looking.
- Even in the air-conditioning, beads of sweat break out on Benji's forehead.
- He steps on the gas. The car picks up speed.
- An awkward silence sits with them.
ChetachiAren't you going to say anything?
- Benji stutters.
BenjiWh... what... what do you want me to... to say?
ChetachiSo you're not going to defend yourself?
ChetachiYou won't tell me how it's not what it looked like?
- Benji swallows hard.
ChetachiTell me the truth. ARE YOU GAY!!!
- She pulls off her lace front wig and throws it to the back seat. Her cornrows are neat.
ChetachiBenji! Did I marry a faggot? 😠
ChetachiDo you penetrate other men with the same dick you put in me at night?
- Her voice rises.
ChetachiAnswer me, Benji!
ChetachiOr is it you who bends over like a harlot? Are you someone's bitch, Benji?
- Benji wipes his forehead with his palm. He blinks too many times in one minute.
BenjiPlease, Chetachi. Stop.
- She points furiously in his face, nearly convulsing with rage as she speaks.
- Benji keeps his eyes to the road.
ChetachiHow does it feel to f**k your own kind?
ChetachiWith the wealth of vaginas in town, you choose a shithole.
ChetachiWhat is the attraction? Answer me Benji!
ChetachiWhat do you find attractive on Percy's body? The beards?
ChetachiIs it his gangly arms? Or do you just like hairy anuses?
ChetachiDon't think I've not noticed how you pay special attention to mine.
ChetachiSo all those times, this was the reason?
- Benji turns to face her now.
BenjiYou know that's not true.
BenjiYou're my wife and I would never dream of...
- She spits in his face. The thick white blob lands squarely across his left eye and nose.
ChetachiYou're a bastard!
- Benji raises the hem of his vintage shirt to his face and begins to wipe.
- And then it happens.
- Chetachi screams.
- Benji is jolted back to reality.
- He grips the steering with both arms, turns it sharply and steps hard on the brakes.
- The tyres screech. But it's too late.
- The bang comes first. Then the crack. Then another bang over their head.
- And then all goes quiet.
- They wait a moment to allow their brain process the incident.
- Did they just kill someone? No way anyone would survive that.
- Not when the car sent the person somersaulting over them like that.
- Benji peers into Chetachi's face. She doesn't see him.
- She is mouthing something and snapping her fingers repeatedly.
ChetachiJesus! Have mercy! Jesus! Have mercy!
- Benji looks around in the partial darkness. For now, the road is deserted.
- He studies the sprawled-out form in his rear view mirror, his gaze lingering.
- Finally, his eyes light up; there is movement.
BenjiLet's help him. I saw his hand move.
- He unclasps his seat belt and shirks himself free of it.
ChetachiWhat are you doing?
- The door opens and Benji disappears.
- He reappears by the passenger side and beckons on Chetachi to come with him.
- She is reluctant but, eventually, she unlocks the door and follows behind him.
- Benji lowers himself and sits on his haunches.
- Chetachi leans over the wounded man.
ChetachiAre you alright, sir?
Man(wheezing) Get... me... to... a... hospital.
- FIVE MINUTES LATER
ChetachiThat building looks like a hospital?
- Benji looks through the cracked windshield.
BenjiI don't think so?
- The car is going 60MPH, honking too many times and slowing down occasionally.
- Chetachi points again.
ChetachiWhat of that one?
BenjiCheck if he's still bleeding.
- Chetachi contorts her face and turns around to the backseat.
- The gash on the man's forehead and arm are still pouring with blood.
- The rise and fall of his chest is faint, almost imperceptible.
- Nauseous from seeing so much blood, Chetachi turns to Benji.
- She stutters and fumbles with her words.
ChetachiBut... But you t... take this route sometimes nooow, Benji.
ChetachiYou've never seen a hospital around?
BenjiI don't know. I'm not thinking straight right now.
ChetachiGod help us.
BenjiCheck him again. Just... Just continue to keep an eye on him.
- SEVEN MINUTES LATER
BenjiWhat is it?
ChetachiBenji, he's not breathing.
- The car stops abruptly so that all three occupants jerk forward momentarily.
- The man is still splayed across the back seat.
- Outside, a signboard advertising a beverage displays an address that ends in '...Oworonshoki, Lagos.'
BenjiWhat do you mean 'He's not breathing?'
- She speaks even more quietly now, almost enunciating.
ChetachiHe's not breathing.
- The car begins to crawl, gently, until Benji pulls over by the side of the road.
- He pushes the CENTRAL LOCK button. The locks click softly.
- When he's sure they're secure, he turns around to see for himself.
- He raises the man's arm.
- It falls back down, limp as a stick.
BenjiI think you're right.
- THREE MINUTES LATER
- The car is crawling again.
- Chetachi is struggling to breath.
- Benji's forehead and neck are glistening with sweat.
ChetachiOh my G… God. Wh… What have we gotten ourselves into?
- They are moving but their destination is no longer the hospital.
- The confusion is evident in the way Benji handles the steering.
- Chetachi's exhales are unusually loud and shaky. Her fingers tremble.
- Her panic slowly heightens so that Benji fears it will soon result in an attack.
- Without looking away from the road, Benji speaks.
BenjiCalm down, Chi.
BenjiYou need to stay calm.
BenjiI know it doesn't make sense but now's not the time to panic.
BenjiTake a deep breath and forget what's in the back seat.
BenjiCan you do that for me?
- She nods.
BenjiWe need to find a quiet place.
- He looks at her briefly.
BenjiIt's either that or... or prison.
- Despite the air conditioning, Chetachi begins to fan her face with her hands.
ChetachiBenji... what... what if we get caught.
BenjiThat's why I need you t... to stay calm.
BenjiTake my suit from that hanger. Remove the nylon and throw the jacket over him.
- Chetachi does this.
BenjiI'm not too sure but there might be police checkpoints around.
ChetachiOh, God. Let's just drop him here.
BenjiThere are people around. We need complete darkness.
BenjiOr someplace with no people. Maybe a bush.
ChetachiYes... Yes... a bush.
BenjiThe problem is, I don't think there are bushes around.
- Chetachi wipes her face with her palm. Her lips begin to quiver.
BenjiD... Don't worry, I'll think of something.
ChetachiWhat of the Bridge.
BenjiThird Mainland Bridge?
ChetachiY... Yes... We're headed that way, so we can... maybe... maybe throw it into the... water.
- Benji slows the car to a halt and scratches his head.
- He turns to her.
BenjiThat might work.
BenjiWe look for a spot with faint lighting, then... then wait until the traffic thins.
- She nods.
- FIVE MINUTES LATER
- Armed with a workable plan, the car has picked up speed.
- But as they turn the corner, the Volkswagen ahead starts to slow down.
- Benji sees it first—A police checkpoint.
- Chetachi sees it too and begins to hyperventilate, her chest rising like yeast in bread and then deflating.
BenjiBe cool. Just... just be cool.
BenjiYou can pretend to sleep if it's too much for you.
- Chetachi brings a hand to her mouth to stifle the whimper threatening to escape.
- Her eyes glisten with scalding tears.
- Benji knows that the jig is up. Chetachi's theatrics will give them away.
- He resigns to fate, watches a lanky policeman approach the driver side of the Volkswagen.
- Their car will be next.
- He begins to pray silently, his eyes still on the policeman.
- Chetachi prays too.
ChetachiGod help us. God help us.
- The man appears to be speaking rapidly now, like one who has lost his patience.
- He knocks against the car window with the butt of his rifle.
- Benji hears him now. He is shouting.
PoliceManOpen this door!
- The door stays locked.
- Benji does not expect what happens next.
- The Volkswagen zooms off, brushing hard against the waist of one policeman.
- The lanky one beckons on his colleagues.
- They hop into their pickup truck and speed off after the Volkswagen.
- Benji breathes at last. Chetachi breathes too.
- THIRD MAINLAND BRIDGE
- For the umpteenth time, they drive over an expansion joint and the tyres complain.
- It is 11:35pm now and there are scarcely any cars on the bridge.
- The road is free; so free that vehicles are zipping past at lightning speed.
- They drive along the outer edge, at average speed.
- Chetachi's neck turns around every few seconds to check for cars coming from behind.
- She taps Benji's arm now, a sense of urgency in her voice.
ChetachiIt's free now. No cars.
- Benji peers in the rear view mirror.
BenjiNo. Not here. I see headlights far back.
- Her voice is gentle when she speaks, almost pleading.
ChetachiSlow down at least. We need to get rid of it. PLEASE!
ChetachiI can't stay another ten minutes in this car with a corpse.
- The headlights reach them and zoom past.
- He points forward, to the dim spot just after an overhead signpost.
- They stop there. The signpost has pointers to VICTORIA ISLAND, IKOYI and IDUMAGBO AVE.
- They wait. One or two cars speed past.
ChetachiWhat if someone assumes our car has broken down and offers to help?
BenjiThat's why we need to be quick.
- He taps the CENTRAL LOCK button again to ease the lock on all four doors.
BenjiGet in the back seat. As soon as the road is empty again, I'll come down.
BenjiWe have to be quick when we do it. No mistakes.
- Chetachi's heartbeat accelerates.
- Benji's heart pounds against his chest.
- He looks in Chetachi's eyes.
BenjiNo mistakes, Chi. We remove him and throw him over.
- Chetachi nods quietly and squeezes between the front seats to get to the back.
- They wait.
- Three cars zoom past. Then the fourth. And fifth.
- He hops out of the vehicle. Chetachi grabs the man's bare feet.
- Benji opens the back door and seizes the man's arms.
- They manage to remove it, with Chetachi struggling to stay level with Benji.
- Just before another headlight appears in the distance, they lift and balance it on the railing.
- Their breathing intensifies so that it becomes panting.
- Then with a silent prayer in their hearts, they let the corpse freefall into the water.
- But just as they loosen their grip, Chetachi gasps.
- She'd seen something. Benji had seen it too.
- This thing that they saw, they know without a doubt that it will haunt them.
- Benji knows it just as much as Chetachi does.
- If ever they get charged now, it will no longer be for manslaughter.
- It will be for murder.
- Because right as they hurled him over the railing, the man's eyes had blinked open.
- And his good hand had attempted to latch on to Chetachi.
- Benji rests a hand on the small of her back.
- As they drive home, Benji continues to reassure her, and perhaps himself too.
- He mumbles something repeatedly.
BenjiHe was dead… He was dead…
- And then he mumbles it some more.
- When their marriage hits the rocks in four months, neither of them will be certain why.
- Benji's sexuality perhaps…
- or the murder and daring cover-up that they'd both orchestrated.
- THE END
Click anywhere to see the next message